Tuesday 19 January 2010

Kid Friendly Directories/Links and Searches

I have three small kids that are all boys. They are ages one, four and eight. One of them is currently attending secondary school and another will be in primary school this coming September. I was very surprised to find out that my eldest already have a computer subject. They are taught to research using the internet for their assignments and projects. I am a BS computer science graduate and have been using computers in almost 70 of my time at work. However, I actually was able to learn about and use a computer when I was in college.



I like the idea of having them start at an early age to use these advances in technology so they will grow up knowing a lot. Integrating computer literacy in the curriculum for kids I believe is a good idea and would benefit the students. The only worry I have is that there are a lot of stuff in the internet that are not for them to gain access to. Let’s face it, kids that are starting to learn how to use the internet will click away on any link they could see especially if it looks colourful and attractive.



I came across the website Kidsclick.org. It is a web search and directory for kids made by librarians. It is like the Yahoo directory which is a widely used business web directory. Another site is Business.com site which offer a variety of business resource. The difference between these two sites to the Kidsclick.org would be the orientation as the latter is for children. And since the site is owned and maintained by a department at a state university, a parent can be rest assured that the content or links on the web site is for general patronage.



I used to have Google as the home page on my kids computer so they can readily search anything one they launch the web browser. I recently have changed the default home page to Kidsclick. I firmly believe that it will definitely limit if not totally eliminate the chances of my kids stumbling upon adult web pages. This web site has links to directories that I feel is safe for browsing. The site also has small icons that are designed to make the kids enjoy the browsing experience. Aside from the readily available links, the site also have picture, sound and website searches and lesson searches that helps kids find and filter information that is not available.



To say the least, I am very happy to have found such a site and I would recommend this to my friends who have small kids of their own. For further information about web directories, you may visit the following link from Wikipedia -> Web Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment