Friday 15 August 2008

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island


My wife and I recently visited my brother and his wife in New York, USA. When they asked us where we would like to go, we immediately responded "we want to see the Statue of Liberty". t seems that it there is a top 3 tourist destination it will be included in the list. There were several long queues for buying tickets, waiting for the ferry and the security check before you go inside the statue but it was all worth it. It was a majestic sight and we all enjoyed it. Even my brother and sister-in-law which probably have been there for the nth time.

Statue of Liberty was a gift from France. Bartholdi, the creator, with the help of Gustave Eiffel of Eiffel Tower planned and executed the existence of this great monument. After September 11 incident, the US government made extra effort to protect Liberty, their symbol of freedom. I remember one description from the museum inside the statue - "a door to new hope, welcoming those who are ready to accept new challenges". I was amazed how Liberty came to being. The museum explained how it was planned, gave the details of each material used and how it was built. I just suddenly became interested with history. Ellis Island was also interesting. We were told that there is a list of early immigrants there but since I know I don't have ancestors who may have been one of the first immigrants we did not bother going there.

No comments:

Post a Comment